Good patient care simply isn’t enough. You need to provide world class patient care. And the best way to achieve this is through EMR implementation.
What is EMR?
Electronic Medical Records (EMR) is the natural progression of patient care. Gone are the days of paper medical records and gone are the days of misplaced records. EMR digitizes all the information and data that you would expect to find in a paper chart. It’s a process which opens up a whole world of opportunity for your healthcare virtual assistants and in-house practice staff.
EMR implementation brings your practice into the 21st century by delivering these benefits:
- Huge amounts of patient data can effortlessly be shared between different departments in the same building. This reduces the admin load and guarantees that healthcare professionals will immediately have the data they need.
- Less clerical errors will be made by your administrative team due to the ease with which data can be inputted and processed. Doctors can, therefore, rest assured that they are working with precise data when making decisions on their patients’ care. And this is a view echoed and supported by patients.
- The digitization of this data allows it to be made accessible to healthcare virtual assistants. This process ensures that data entry can be seamlessly outsourced to remote workers who can maximize the productivity of your practice.
- EMR implementation means that less paperwork is required in your practice. And this will result in a serious amount of real estate being freed up in your premises. Practice owners can take advantage of this new space by offering new services and installing new equipment.
- All doctor’s want to improve the journey of each patient through the healthcare system. And by implementing an EMR system you are enhancing this journey. Expectations will be exceeded and a strong level of trust and commitment will be generated towards your practice.
These are just some of the amazing benefits that can help transform your medical practice. By harnessing their power you can take your practice to the next level in a manner which previously felt unthinkable. But when it comes to EMR implementation you need to decide which approach is best for your practice.
What are the Methods of EMR Implementation?
The two most popular methods of EMR implementation are: cloud based EMR and server based EMR. There are a number of differences between these two methods, so here’s a quick lowdown on them:
- Cloud Based EMR: Cloud technology has become increasingly popular in recent years and makes sense for businesses. This approach to EMR involves a third party provider hosting all your data on an off-site server. Thanks to the wonder of technology this provider can be based anywhere in the world. All you need to access your data is an internet connection. And all backups and security protocols are taken care of by your cloud provider to ensure peace of mind that your data is secure.
- Server Based EMR: The main alternative to cloud based EMR involves keeping your EMR housed on an in-house server. Data is kept onsite and the hardware that houses it can be customized to your precise needs as can your backup methods and security. The main benefit of server based EMR is that you do not need an internet connection to access it. Therefore, in the case of communication lines failing you will still be able to access your data when you’re on site.
As you can see, either method of EMR implementation has a wide range of benefits. But it’s important that you evaluate your practice’s unique needs. Approaching the implementation in this manner will ensure that you choose the method which is best suited to you and your patients. And, when you have this established, you can begin searching for the best EMR provider.
Who are the Best EMRs to Work With?
Figures show that almost 86% of office based physicians use an EMR system. This trend for EMR implementation has led to a competitive market for EMR software providers. And, for a busy practice owner, navigating their way through all the various specifications and benefits is time consuming. It’s always important to narrow your options down, so we’re going to give you a helping hand by focusing our attentions of five of the best EMRs to work with:
- EClinicalWorks: Transforming healthcare through their innovative software, EClinicalWorks offers a fantastic opportunity for connecting your practice. The software is based in the cloud and guarantees that patient data is always available, no matter where you are working from. All data such as progress notes, account balance and flowsheets are readily available. EClinicalWorks also comes with a built-in virtual assistant to improve the speed in which data can be retrieved and processed.
- AthenaHealth: Using cloud technology, AthenaHealth prides itself on helping its clients to beat industry benchmarks. And it achieves this through a powerful suite packed full of crucial services. This suite not only connects your entire practice, but it also allows you to engage with patients through a secure messaging app, simplifies electronic health records and helps to manage care coordination. The end result is an enhanced business operation that satisfies both doctor and patient.
- Practice Fusion: Simplicity is the ethos behind the cloud based Practice Fusion and it’s a product that is used on a daily basis by 112,000 healthcare professionals. Practice Fusion helps you to deliver an efficient and effective service through tools such as appointment schedulers and the ability to connect with local pharmacies, labs and imaging centers. And the product is just as efficient when it comes to patient data. Dashboards are used to monitor patient progress and gaps in care can be identified.
- Kareo: A complete package to meet your practice’s unique needs, Kareo is based in the cloud and aims to reduce costs, wasted time and unnecessary functionality. The software is designed by healthcare professionals, so this grants an acute level of understanding into Kareo’s functions. Billing is simplified, charting can be created and analyzed quickly whilst e-Prescribing allows you to deliver prescription options that suit the patient and the practice.
- Advanced MD: A smart dashboard that allows you to focus on critical tasks, Advanced MD provides a cloud based software which uses a smart workflow to help your practice keep on top. Appointment schedules can be monitored with a just a couple of clicks and patient cards are ordered chronologically to help access vital data immediately. Patient data can also be synced with self-service features to provide your patients more control over their health. All of these features can be managed with the software’s task donuts which help to prioritize your workload.
The Importance of EMR Implementation
It’s clear to see that EMR implementation is an essential step in transforming your practice into one that is recognizably world class. And all the signs indicate that the EMR market is only going to get bigger and bigger. Therefore you need to remain competitive. Moving your operations from a paper-based affair into a digital age is a smart move and one that poses very little risk. EMR software allows your practice to benefit from slicker processes and a more organized workload. And HelloRache is on hand to help you. By combining our amazing healthcare virtual assistants with your EMR implementation you can be guaranteed of making a seamless step up.